Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Easy and awesome oatmeal!

Let me preface this post by first saying I'm not a fan of oatmeal and I never really have been. The closest I've ever come to liking oatmeal is the little individual packets of flavored quick oats. But I decide to give it a chance again and I found a recipe that I love! And even Kyle can vouch for me that this recipe does not need any added sweeteners, the banana does well enough on its own! I made the recipe twice just this week. So with that little intro, here's the recipe:

1cup of rolled oats
1-2 tablespoons of something acidic such as lemon juice, whey, apple cider vinegar

1 cup of liquid ( I have used anything from water, milk, or even very liquidy yogurt, all work about the same)
1 pinch of salt
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1-2 ripe and chopped up bananas
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal (optional)

1. Put the oats in a bowl and cover with warm water, add the acidic liquid and mix. Allow it to soak covered and wrapped in a towel 12-24 hours. I just do this the day before. This makes the oatmeal easier to digest and often improves the flavor.

2. Rinse the oats well and set aside

3. In a pot bring the 1 cup of milk/water to a boil over medium/high heat.

4. Reduce the heat and add the salt, oatmeal, cinnamon, and cut up banana to the pot and mix until it has thickened to your liking and remove from heat.

5. Add the flaxseed meal and enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment